Property Acquisition in Portugal
Afonso Gabriel Miguel has extensive experience in structuring and negotiating a full range of real estate operations, having assisted several individual and companies purchasing properties in Portugal.
Our service includes assistance with loan/mortgage process, obtaining Portuguese tax number and tax representation services, analysis of all documentation related to the ownership and the legal status of the property, elaboration of all the contracts, permanent contact with the real estate agency, preparation of the title deed, celebration of supply contracts, and any other that may be necessary to complete the purchase of the property successfully.
For more information about acquiring a property in Portugal request our guide or a free appointment to email@example.com
Golden Visa – Portuguese Investments
We provide full legal assistance in the entire Golden Visa program. Our solid knowledge and experience in this area have been an effective contribution to the satisfaction of our clients.
The Golden Visa program is a Residence Permit for Investment (ARI), that allows nationals from third countries (outside the European Union and the European Economic Area) to obtain a temporary residence permit for investment activity.
The benefits of this program are:
- Real estate opportunities – investment has been beneficial and profitable for investors, as Portugal is quickly climbing the rankings of best places to invest, so it is a win-win situation, in which allied to a real estate opportunity, the investor can also establish residency.
- Obtain residency in a country that has an effective and integrated network of public transports, good healthcare and education system, safety, work and business opportunities, and high quality of life.
- Possibility to live, work and study in Portugal from the moment the temporary residence is granted;
- Travel freely in any country in the Schengen Area as a European citizen without needing to apply for visas since the moment the temporary residence is granted.
- Possibility to apply for Portuguese nationality and receive a European passport after 6 years.
- Obtain family regrouping for spouse and children, underage or of age, when still studying.
- The Golden Visa Program only requires a stay of 7 days per year in Portugal, for the entire 5 year period which makes the Portuguese program one of the most attractive residence programs in the world for investors.
Requirements for Golden Visa eligibility:
- Be a national of a country outside the European Union and the European Economic Area.
- Have at least 18 years old.
- Have not entered or stayed illegally in Portugal at any moment (implies having a valid Schengen visa when filing the residence application in Portugal).
- No criminal record in Portugal or in the countries the investor has lived in the last year (only relevant crimes are considered).
- Carry out one of the types of investment foreseen for this program.
Types of Golden Visa Investments:
- Acquisition of property in the minimum amount of € 500,000 (five hundred thousand euros) – most common.
- Acquisition of property, whose construction has been completed for at least 30 years or located in an area of urban rehabilitation and rehabilitation of real estate acquired, totaling € 350,000 (three hundred and fifty thousand euros).
- Establishing a Portuguese company that creates a minimum of 10 jobs.
- Capital investment or transfer of at least € 1,000,000 (one million euros).
- Capital investment of at least € 350,000 (three hundred and fifty thousand euros), to be applied in research activities carried out by public or private scientific research institutions, integrated into the national scientific and technological system.
- Transfer of capital of at least € 250,000 (two hundred thousand euros), to be applied to investment or support for artistic production, recovery or maintenance of the national cultural heritage.
For complete information about the Golden Visa program request our guide or a free appointment to firstname.lastname@example.org
D2 Visa: Entrepreneur Visa
Obtaining a D2 visa is one of the ways to establish residence in Portugal legally.
This visa, intended for entrepreneurial immigrants, requires a low investment (compared to the Golden Visa), which can be made by incorporating a company in Portugal.
We have already helped hundreds of clients establish successful residency in Portugal via the D2 Visa.
We provide complete assistance throughout the entire process, from setting up the company, obtaining a visa and Portuguese residency.
This visa is applicable to all foreign citizens, who are not nationals of the EU Member States, the European Economic Area and Switzerland.
If you want to know more about our scope of services, the requirements and costs associated with the D2 visa, please contact us at: email@example.com
D7 Visa: Passive Income Visa
Obtaining a D7 visa is another route to establish residence in Portugal legally.
This visa, is the most common visa, used by all foreign citizens, who intend to reside in Portugal as retirees or live on their income.
The income, such as pension, investments, dividends, or rental income, should originate from outside Portugal.
We have assisted thousands of clients establish successful residency in Portugal via the D7 Visa.
We provide complete assistance throughout the entire process, obtaining the visa and subsequently the Portuguese residency.
This visa is applicable to all foreign citizens, who are NOT nationals of the EU Member States, the European Economic Area and Switzerland.
If you want to know more about our scope of services, the requirements and costs associated with the D7 visa, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Relocation Service for EU and Non-EU Citizens
If you are thinking about living in Portugal and want to avoid all the bureaucracy associated with moving, we have a legal relocation service, where you will be accompanied by our team before the move and until you are fully installed in your new residence.
We take care of obtaining, within the legal timings, all the necessary documentation that a resident must have when living in Portugal.
This service is available to all citizens (out or in the Europe Union)
If you want to know more, contact us at: email@example.com
Non-Habitual Resident Regime
Our office provides legal assistance to foreigners and Portuguese emigrants who wish to obtain the status of the non-habitual resident and benefit from 10 years of reduced taxation on income obtained in Portugal and exemption on income obtained abroad.
The Non-Habitual Resident Regime was approved in 2009 with the purpose of attracting non-resident professionals qualified in high added value activities as well as beneficiaries of pensions obtained abroad.
The regime grants certain tax advantages over a period of 10 years to persons who apply for tax residence in Portugal, the benefits vary depending on the type of income involved.
Residence in Portugal can be obtained by buying or renting a property in Portugal, provided it is for own and permanent residence.
For more information about the Non-Habitual Resident Regime request our guide or a free appointment to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Portuguese nationality can be obtained by i) who is a descendant of Portuguese citizens (parents or grandparents), ii) who is married for more than three years to a Portuguese national, or iii) by a Portuguese resident living in Portugal for at least five years.
Our lawyers assess the possibility of being granted the Portuguese nationality, carry out the technical analysis of the documents – to avoid rejections, submit the process to the competent authorities, and follow up until the conclusion of the process.
If you are seeking to be represented by qualified professionals with practical experience in these types of applications, contact us on to email@example.com
Incorporation of Companies in the “Free Zone of Madeira”
Our office ensures all legal procedures for the installation of companies in the “Free Zone of Madeira” or International Business Center of Madeira (CINM) to benefit from the reduced rate of income tax of 5% up to 31 of December 2027.
The “Free Zone of Madeira” or International Business Center of Madeira (CINM) is fully integrated into the Portuguese legal system and has the express approval of the European Union.
The CINM companies, like any other Portuguese company, have unrestricted access to the European market and benefit from both the network of double taxation agreements (about 70) and the mutual investment protection and investment agreements concluded by Portugal.
Madeira´s Regime is ideal for trading, international services, consultancy, royalties, management fees – and it has been used very often as a platform into, besides Europe, the African, the Asian and the South American Continent.
Entities (new companies or branches) licensed to operate in the IBC until 2020 will benefit from a set of tax benefits, namely a reduced rate of IRC of 5% until 31 December 2027.
The Benefits are:
- Reduce corporate tax of 5% on the annual profit until 31 December 2027;
- An exemption in 80% of local taxes, stamp duty;
- Access to all the Double Tax Treaty (DDT) that Portugal has in force.
- Since 2014, Portugal has a worldwide exemption participation, that allows the Madeira´s Company to have the exemption on dividends and capital gains received and paid with EU (European Directives) plus all the Countries in which Portugal have DDT´s signed.
- It is a whitelisted regime in any part of the world, that gives credibility, stability, and transparency.
- Approval of a personal exemption on dividends for direct shareholders – individual/physical person – on the distribution of dividends (as long as they are not Portuguese resident and do not reside in Fiscal Tax Heaven).
- Tax Withholding exemption on dividends, interest, capital gains, royalties, and services when paid to companies resident in EU and EEA countries, or in countries with which Portugal has a DDT with a clause for the exchange of tax information. For the rest is applicable 5%, 10% or 15% according to DDT or if there is no DDT is applicable to the general regime 25%.
The requisites are:
To qualify for the tax reductions, companies incorporated in Madeira’s IBC have to comply with one of the following pre-established requirements:
- Creation of one job position (it can be a part-time job) in the first 6 months of operation;
- In the first two years of operation, undertake a minimum investment of €75.000 in the acquisition of fixed assets, tangible or intangible, (also capital share and financial banking investment are considered), this investment can be made in any part of the world;
- Creation of six job positions (only one of these jobs has to be fulfilled by a Madeira national), in the first 6 months of operation.
For more information about the installation of companies in the “Free Zone of Madeira” request our guide or a free appointment to firstname.lastname@example.org